Monday, March 16, 2009

Brownies

















Above is a picture of my brownies just out of the oven, uncut, left to cool on the rack.

Dry Ingredients:

1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegan chocoloate chips (optional)
1/2 cup nuts of your choice (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients together very well. Mix wet ingredients. Add wet to dry ingredients and stir just enough to mix. Pour batter (batter will be thick) into an 8"x8" square pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Leave in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove and place on cooling rack. Once cool, cut into squares.

Notes: Instead of applesauce, I have used jars of prune baby food in the past.

It's important not to overmix dry and wet ingredients when you don't use animal products (such as eggs) in your baking. The reason for this escapes me at the moment but I learned this rule early on my in vegan baking "career".

You will have to test the baking time in your own oven. I use a toaster oven and it took 45 minutes. It make take less in a regular oven. I don't know. Check after 30 minutes. If it's not done, continue to bake and check for doneness in 5 minute increments.

1 comment:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I'll have to try this one. Sometimes I bring potluck dishes to church, and we have quite a few vegetarians and vegans who would appreciate this treat.